Key dates in the club's history
1958 Local resident Bob Kemsley gets permission to lay moorings at Upnor.
1962 Upnor Sailing Club officially formed.
1968 Number of moorings increased from 17 to 20. Club has 24 members.
1969 Plans approved for a dinghy park.
1970 A 700ft long mooring trot planned – the Rudham trot, named after Charles Rudham, a
former honorary secretary of the club.
1972 Ladies admitted to the club. Rudham trot extended.
1974 The club has 95 members.
1976 The club buys its first work boat.
1977 The club agrees to buy 3 cottages and transform them into a club house.
1981 Club house opened by former prime minister Edward Heath.
1984 Club house refurbished.
1993 Scrubbing posts installed.
2012 The club celebrates its 50th anniversary.
2022 The club celebrates its 60th anniversary. It now has 121 members.
For more information about the club’s history, read former commodore Ken Barrett's account of the early days at Upnor Sailing Club.